Listen to Article
Sleeping on your right, can result in a number of problems and it is usually advisable, to change the habit to avoid further deterioration except if it is recommended by an expert.
Checkout these 5 reasons, why you should not sleep using your right side;
1. It causes facial wrinkles: Sleeping with your side, can result in unnecessary pressure on the skin causing facial wrinkles. For people who are worried about this problem, sleeping on your back is the best solution, since this posture reduces any pressure on your facial skin.
2. It affects your spine and back muscles: According to experts, sleeping on your right, can cause chronic back pain due to the pressure on the spine and back, as a result of the fact that most of the body weight is held in this side. The spine suffers throughout the night, since it is not in its natural position. This problem can result in numbness and the better alternative, is to switch postures throughout the night rest to prevent these problems.
3. It can cause heartburn: Lying on your right or on your back can cause Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) or worsen the situation, for someone suffering from the disease. GERD happens when the content of the stomach rises into the esophagus due to gravity. Sleeping on your right, displaces the stomach from its natural position, causing the acid content to rise to the esophagus, thereby leading to heartburn, distress, taste of acid in the mouth, bad breath and chest pains.
It is better for people with GERD to sleep on their left sides.
4. It can lead to chronic neck pain: Constantly sleeping on your right side, can lead to a twist of the neck and damage of the gelatinous parts of the spinal chord disc, which can lead to chronic pain. Sleeping on your back is the best option to preventing this problem.
5. It is not good for pregnant women: Experts have advised pregnant women against sleeping on their right sides, due to the pressure the posture puts on the baby. The posture limits the space for the baby and can affect the comfort of the woman. Doctors advise all pregnant women to sleep on their left side, since this position provides maximum oxygen and blood flow for both the mother and baby.