Fifty-five (55) persons at the Accra Girls Senior High School (SHS) have tested positive for COVID-19, the authorities have confirmed.
A joint statement issued by the Ghana Health Service (GHS) and the Ghana Educations Service (GES), dated Monday July 13, 2020 said the infected persons comprise students and staff at the school.
The cases were detected after 314 persons at the school were tested for the virus, 259 persons tested negative.
“Following the first report of COVID-19 cases in some Senior High Schools in the country on 6th July, 2020, the Ghana Health Service and the Ghana Education Service instituted a number of measures to determine the extent of the outbreak and containment measures,” the statement said.
“Accra Girls Senior High School has recorded most cases from the first report to date. As at 13th July, 2020, a total of 314 persons (student and staff) from the School have been tested. Out of these, 55 have been confirmed positive for COVID-19 while 259 persons tested negative”.
Actions taken after positive tests
According to the statement, all the infected persons have been segregated from other students.
Also, all their contacts have been identified and tested.
Other measures include taken by the authorities include;
• Restriction of number of students that attend dining at a particular time
• Enforcement of social distancing protocols, enhanced hand hygiene practices and the proper use of the facemask
• Disinfection of the entire school has been carried out
• Adequate PPEs have been provided to health staff stationed in the school
• Education on COVID-19 prevention and control has been intensified within the school
• Counselling and psychological support is being provided to the students
• The school has designated a quarantine and isolation centre
• Parents and guardians of affected student have been duly contacted
• Staff of the school have been reassured
topstories, trending, Coronavirus, #COVID-19