On, Sunday, 3tst May 2020, the President of the Republic of Ghana in a televised address to the Nation, directed all final year student’s m the Public Universities to report to School on 15th June 2020. To ensure a safe and conducive enrolment for staff and students in the University and at the Examination Centres. Accra Technical University adopts the following preventive measures to curtail the spread of the Covid-19 disease:
- Hostel Facilities
- The Hostels Will be fumigated by a professional cleaning and disinfection entity.
- A maximum of two persons will be assigned to occupy each room in the Hostel.
- A section of the ground floor at the Hostels Will be reserved as isolation rooms for medical emergencies.
- No visitors shall be allowed in the Hostels during the period.
- Students Will be made to complete personal protection enforcement forms.
- Canteen Services
- Food vendors must present a medical certificate of fitness before being allowed to provide food services to students and undergo pre-qualification screening and sensitisation.
- Canopies will be erected at open spaces on Campus to serve as eating joints for students to avoid crowding of students at the canteens while ensuring social distancing.
- HCIM Department has been tasked to provide food for students on Campus including evenings and weekends.
- Personal Protection Equipment and Etiquettes (PPEEs)
- Weaning of face mask is mandatory while using public space in the University‘ ‘No mask no entry’ regulation will be enforced.
- The Fashion Department of the University will produce and distribute 10,000 ATU face masks to students and staff.
- Additional Veronica Buckets Will be fabricated by the Mechanical Engineering Department and positioned at classroom blocks. library. examination centres. hostels. canteens. and other vantage locations.
- Additional wall-mounted dispensers will be installed at classroom blocks. library, examination centres. hostels, and other vantage locations to be filled with ATU alcohol-based hand sanitizers produced by the Departments of Science/ Medical Laboratory Technology.
- The classrooms, the library, Laboratories. and workshops will be fumigated before the resumption of academic work Professional cleaning and disinfection entity will be engaged to disinfect all surfaces. floors. and door handle at the Examination Centres after every examination cohort
- All academic engagements (teaching and examination) and seating arrangement in the classrooms and examination centres must strictly adhere to social/physical distancing protocols of at least 1 metre apart.
- The ATU sanitary walkers Will be sensitised and provided with personal protective equipment (PPEs) to ensure proper sanitary conditions at the washrooms. offices. and general compound under strict supervision. Trained security personnel have been provided with thermometer guns at the points of entry to screen for persons with high body temperature.
- The security will enforce the ‘no mask no entry’ regulation. the Inspection of students’ ID cards. and the no Visitor regulation at the Hostels and all other regulations together with the health and safety morning team.
- The University facilities are unavailable for any religious activities. No sporting event will be allowed in the University.
- Medical Emergency Services
- The university Ambulance Service will be available to provide emergency services and convey patients to the appropriate health faculty.
- Suspected cases Will be referred to the Greater Accra Regional Hospital (a designated health faculty tor Covnd-19) tor comprehensive medical attention.
We admonish members of the University community to be physically active, eat well. drink plenty of fluids. reduce stress. have enough sleep. and seek immediate medical help if an infection is suspected or symptoms occur. All staff and students are also encouraged to adhere to all preventive measures published by the world health organisation and Ministry of Health to prevent transmission of the COVID-19
Prof. Amevi Acakpovi