The issues of male infertility are increasing across the world and one of the main causes has been identified to be the kind of foods we eat.
Scientists have said consistently that the kind of food we eat plays a major role in the strength and potency of sperms.
Today we bring to you at least 7 foods that have the possibility of reducing sperm potency in males.
1. Excessive alcohol – Consumption of excessive alcohol adversely affects male fertility by altering the size, sperm count, shape, and motility of sperms. It is known to also lower testosterone levels in males and also increase estrogen levels which work against sperm production in males.
2. Sweets and Sugary drinks – Apart from the fact that that excessive sugar can make you overweight or give you heart problems, it can also affect your fertility as a man. Scientists have cautioned that sugary drinks especially those containing soda can lower sperm quality and motility.
3. Processed meat – A study by Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health researchers, USA found that excessive consumption of processed meat could affect the quality of sperms in men. The research, however, found that consuming poultry meat could help increase sperm movement and motility.
4. Canned foods – Researchers have found that men who consume a lot of canned foods have their sperm counts 23% lower than men who don’t. Canned foods contain a chemical called bisphenol-A (BPA) which is known to pose fertility problems, male impotence, heart disease among others.
5. Fat milk and dairy foods – Research by the Rochester Young Men’s Study, showed that high-fat dairy products like whole milk, cream, and cheese were associated with decreased sperm motility and abnormal sperm shape.
6. Fruits and vegetables with pesticides and preservatives – Numerous researches have revealed that exposure to pesticides like dibromochloropropane, ethylene dibromide, and chlordecone had adverse effects on semen quality, sperm count, sperm motility, and morphology.
7. Caffeinated drinks – Studies have related poor male fertility and sperm formation to excessive intake of caffeine. Excessive consumption of caffeinated drinks is known to cause damage in the DNA formation of sperms.