The Minority in Parliament has called on the government to release the $100 million announced for the fight against the deadly Coronavirus in the country.
President Nana Akufo-Addo on Wednesday directed the Minister for Finance, Ken Ofori-Atta, to make available the Cedi equivalent of $100 million to enhance Ghana’s Coronavirus preparedness and response plan.
Speaking to Citi News, Minority spokesperson on Health, Kwabena Mintah Akandoh said Ghanaians need to see physical actions rather than a mere announcement of measures the government is adapting to fight the disease from entering the country.
“We have heard a lot of announcements as far as these issues of this nature are concerned and sometimes you can not even access money that is announced. It is not an issue of the announcement. It is an issue of making the money available for the real work to be done,” he said.
“When this issue broke out, the Minister of Health said that they were going to be given about GHS2.5 million. Whether or not the money was accessed was another problem. So for me the issue is about making the money available,” he added.
Addressing the nation on Wednesday, 11th March 2020 on steps the government is taking to handle any adverse impacts the global outbreak of the deadly coronavirus could have on the country’s economic fortunes, the President of the Republic, President Nana Akufo-Addo said he has directed the Minister for Finance, Ken Ofori-Atta, to make available the amount in question to enhance Ghana’s Coronavirus preparedness and response plan.
This amount, according to President Akufo-Addo, “is to fund the expansion of infrastructure, purchase of materials and equipment, and public education”.
He further explained that with the declaration by the World Health Organisation (WHO) of the Coronavirus disease as a pandemic, it is important that Ghana steps up her preparedness to ensure that beyond the initial measures that have been put in place, a ‘whole of Ghana’ approach is adopted in preparation for a possible hit within the country’s borders.
Though Ghana has not recorded any deaths of the disease the country has recorded 57 suspected cases of the and these have all proved negative.
MP for Ningo Prampram, Sam George had earlier demanded to know the source of the $100 million promised by President Akufo-Addo.